Tuesday, December 28, 2004

IT'S RAINING, IT'S POURING!

It really is! I have always loved the rain ever since I was a little kid. I love it even more today because I don't have to go to work - it's not the being at work that I mind, it's the driving there in the downpour with all the other people who really don't know how to drive in the rain, which isn't that hard. You just have to slooooooow down. And hanging up the phone is a good idea too.

It's really only the driving that I dislike. I don't mind walking. I don't mind getting wet. That is unless I have to go out in public in which case I do care what my hair looks like. The whole glued to the skull and sticking up wildly in other spots look isn't a good one for me. Yesterday I was watching some movie where the characters had on clear rain ponchos. With hoods! And I found myself wondering where I could get one of those.

When I was a little kid and it rained we sometimes got what was called, "rainy day session," which meant that we got out of school an hour earlier. I loved this because it gave me the opportunity to walk home. In the rain with my shoes off. In the gutters! The water was warm and there I could catch pollywogs which were getting washed down from somewhere. If the gutters had been holding water before the rain then there would be a layer of slime that I really enjoyed squooshing between my toes. Gross, I know, but I was a really tactile kid and it felt really good, plus I could slide and pretend that I was ice skating.

I could really only do this when we had rainy day session because otherwise, when it was raining, my mom would drive the few blocks to the school and wait out front for me. She did not like me taking my shoes off and walking in the gutters while getting all wet. She told me that I could get worms! That they would get into my body through the bottom of my feet. I was very skeptical. I might've been 7, but I was nobody's fool.

So you can imagine my surprise when I saw the diagram on this page showing the feet as a key site of entry into the body of various kinds of parasites and worms! Still somewhat skeptical I spoke to my doctor about whether or not this was indeed a true fact. I was like, "that's not really true is it? It's something my mom made up. Right?" WRONG! It is true although in the western world parasites usually enter the body through the mouth via uncooked food. However he was nice enough to tell me that walking in the gutter after rainfall when all the trash was being washed out from whereever it had been festering would definitely have been a good way to get worms through my feet.

Do you know that my mom is like always right?

No comments: