Wednesday, June 30, 2004

SAY HI TO ME!!!

When Cecilia was three we went to the school playground by her house one Saturday. She played on the jungle gym and the swings and that was pretty fun. Three little girls, probably about 6 or 7, showed up with a bike and a couple scooters. As they zoomed around the playground Cecilia watched them. She stood on the black top and every time they swooped by her she'd yell, "Hi!", but they didn't say anything. After a couple circuits she couldn't stand it anymore and chased after the girls yelling, "Say hi to me! Hey you guys, say hi to me!" Although she was littler than they were they did eventually play with her because kids are like that.

There is a security guard that I have to walk by anytime I leave my office to venture anywhere on the lot. Everytime I walk by him I smile and wave and say, "hi", or "good morning" and he looks right at me but he doesn't respond. The other morning I thought to myself, "well maybe he just doesn't hear me" since there is construction going on and it's loud - groundshakingly, maybe we're having an earthquake loud - so I kept saying, "good morning, good morning, good morning" completely possessed by my inner 3 year old, getting louder and louder as I got closer and closer. His face remained impassive but finally I saw his lips move and he said...something. He spoke in such a low voice I decided that it was "good morning", but it could've been "shut up" for all I know.

The poor man. Doesn't he know? If he'd just play with me and say good morning I'd quit chasing him around the parking lot.

No comments: