Tuesday, April 21, 2009

SAMENESS

I started buying gold about a year ago. The price has held above $700 for over a year and is currently up around $900 so it makes sense to go through your jewelry box and get rid of those busted up chains and ram's head earrings that lost their mate.

You can make some nice money doing that.

I go to people's houses and they have parties and people come and bring me their jewelry and tell me their stories and I scratch it, test it and separate it into karats and then weigh it and pay by the gram.

There are 31.1 grams in an oz. of gold.

It has occurred to me on more than one occassion that 25 years ago I was using this exact same scale to weigh out cocaine by the gram. People would come and do a bump and tell me their stories.

All in all there's a lot of sameness in commerce - only now I'm buying instead of selling.

I like this better.


No comments: