Friday, April 03, 2009

Gotta Dance!

I grew up in the age of the movie musical. I went to see them all from a very young age: Mary Poppins, Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, Cabaret, All that Jazz, even a revival of my all time favorite, Singin' in the Rain - which rocks in a movie theater.

So I was quite disappointed to find that life wasn't really like that. Not only do people never break out in song and dance during pivotal moments of their day or when feeling a surge of emotion, they get really freaked out if YOU do it anywhere near them.

In 1976 I went to see a movie called The Groove Tube and they spoofed the whole "gotta dance, gotta sing" thing. I laughed till I cried. I probably would have chased this man down the street pleading to have his babies and planning to start our own dance troupe. How can people ignore this bouncing ball of joy in a PINK suit?

Okay, so maybe he could be crazy, but it looks like the good kind of crazy. I've dated all kinds of crazy and let me tell you - it could be worse.

JUST YOU, JUST ME


I'm happy to report that it appears that I am not alone in my desire for movie musical moments.

I am so loving this.



And this!


Apparently I am not the only one to enjoy an outbreak of joyful dance.

Sadly it seems my fellow dancers all live in other countries.

C'mon people! Things are bad and getting worse everyday.

Why not dance?

No comments: