Wednesday, June 01, 2005

THE TRAVELING PANTS AVEC KLEENEX

After finding out that I have employment for thirty more days I went and saw a screening on the lot last night. Something that I've never done because by the end of the day I don't want to be here anymore. I want to go home. But now with the feeling of "last chance" I went and saw a preview of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. This is a very sweet story based on a popular YA novel and now I'm going to have to go read it because the movie was pretty good.

Basically it's the story of the 16th summer of four girls who are life long friends and follows each of them as they spend their first summer apart. Before taking off to their various destinations they go shopping and find a pair of jeans that fits all four of them and look great, even though they are each very different. They vow to share the pants, each girl will keep them for a week and wear them and then send them on and they will share the stories of what happens when they wear the pants.

The script had some major flaws and weaknesses, including one very contrived and convenient device involving a dog and the pants and a guy that offended my intelligence, but it wasn't enough to make me dislike the good parts. And there were lots of good parts, not the least of which was the cast, all young actresses that played sixteen credibly with all it's drama and flaws and joie de vie. The movie was just about stolen by the little girl who plays Bailey, but I could just be saying that because well...

Just bring your kleenex and your best friends or your mom and don't make a man sit through this movie. If you love him, or even just like him, don't do it to him. Plus, it's a lot more fun to see it with someone who will cry with you like the two women sitting next to me last night who were just losing it.

I mean sobbing.

But in that good way that girlfriends cry with each other.

I saw it with a guy who is an executive and was seeing it for work and although he probably wouldn't have minded, I didn't feel comfortable really letting go with the tears on him, so I just kinda leaked. And thought about moving over a couple of seats to sit with the girlfriends and borrow a tissue and sniffle out loud.

So I will probably go back and see it with a girlfriend or two. And I will be obssessing about going back to Santorini since one of the stories is filmed there and it is just beautiful. Of course, I will want a Babu and a Yaya and a big babbling Greek family. It's just not the same when you're a tourist.

But still - it's absolutely gorgeous on film and brought back wonderful memories. Of being in Greece and of being sixteen.

No comments: