Friday, March 11, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER

I started writing here one year ago today. Although I've come to discover that this "blogging" thing is usually interactive, my intention was always to develop a level of discipline with regard to writing. Focus and discipline are the two biggest challenges in my life, along with understanding why I make such stupid choices when it comes to men. My thought was that everyday I would write here with the intention of expanding that everyday writing practice into actually writing a script.

Just writing everyday was a lot harder than I ever thought it would be. Granted it's easier to write on the computer than it is to take pen to paper. I'm one of those people who can type as fast as I think and I think a lot fast than I can scribble with a pen. But coming up with something to write was more difficult than I thought it would be. I told a couple people I knew that I was doing this and they started reading it. So I started censoring myself somewhat, but then I'd forget that anyone but me was reading this, and heck I hardly even read it, so I would write down the stories that were only known to me.

I also started writing several beat sheets for stories that I wanted to tell with characters and other voices. Dramatic story telling is so much harder than I'd imagined. Characters must tell communicate through their actions and their words, but without being on the nose, the story and do it in such a way that people want to watch. It must be done in such a way that people want to find out what will happen next.

This is hard to do.

But it's definitely something worth aiming for. I'm still tweaking and rewriting, but today I registered my script with the Writer's Guild, and then I came here to write about it and noticed that the first day I ever wrote here was one year ago today.

I love synchronicity.

No comments: